Monday, June 29, 2009

Small Towns in Foreign Countries

This past week I encountered three situations I never thought possible.

1. I wore a bathing suit in public, more than once.
2. I lived without the one thing no one should ever be away from: the Internet.
3. I played house in a small town in the south of Italy.

Otranto is a lovely, albeit small and quiet town in Apuglia. Amidst the breathtaking water and thriving sun lies a tranquil town where nobody speaks English and salon waxing costs one Euro. There was a supermarket, a library, and a police station the size of a typical one bedroom apartment in Greenwich Village. What does this mean? It means Adrienne would never, ever, EVER, live there. But it was a true Italian experience.

Because I am a horrible photographer, I have zero pictures of the house in which we stayed. It was, however, a house without doors. There were two main gates on the sides of the house surrounding and amazing looking pool. You entered the house through the windows, thus moonlighting as doors, into a tiny kitchen and living room. There were two bedrooms and bathrooms, one on each side.

The action was downstars, with a bathroom, laundry room, and three bedrooms. Without the sunlight you could never tell the time of day, and it was much cooler. I found myself waking up in the middle of the night to put on a sweater. Come morning, sweater would be off once I made it to the top of the stairs. Okay, this is boring. Let's move on.

The beach was immaculate, especially the town residing on the water. There's a restaurant/lounge that overlooks the water with an absolutely breathtaking view. My photos don't do it justice, but it's pretty nonetheless.




So after a week of this nothing-to-do town, we ventured to the other side of the boot and stayed in what southern Italy calls a "four star hotel." Not so sure since the didn't have WIFI, but what can you do. Oh, the pool was amazing. The beaches? Don't know. My wonderful self got sick and I was attempting sleep in the room while the maids were cleaning. Good times!


So my week consisted of water, sun, more water and more sun. Sounds like paradise to many, but to those like me, a world void of excitement. Give me a city! Give me WIFI!

No comments:

Post a Comment